Using the CLI to Install Firmware
- Connect to the switch through the Ethernet port or the serial port.
- Move to the folder or directory on the workstation that contains the new firmware image file.
- Establish communications with the switch using the File Transfer Protocol
(FTP). Enter one of the following on the command line:
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the switch IP address, and switchname is the switch name associated with the IP address.
- Enter the following account name and password:
- password: images
- Activate binary mode and copy the firmware image file on the switch:
- Wait for the transfer to complete, then close the FTP session
- xxxxx bytes sent in xx secs.
- Establish communications with the switch using the CLI. Enter one of the following on the command line:
- A Telnet window opens prompting you for a login. Enter an account name and password. The default account name and password are (admin,password).
- Open an Admin session to acquire the necessary authority.
- Display the list of firmware image files on the switch to confirm that the file was loaded.
- SANbox (admin) $>image list
- Unpack the firmware image file to install the new firmware in flash memory.
- SANbox (admin) $>image unpack filename
- Wait for the unpack to complete.
- image unpack command result: Passed
- A message will prompt you to reset the switch to activate the firmware.
Resetting the switch is disruptive.
SANbox (admin) $>reset